20 killed, 113 hurt in triple blasts in Mumbai: CM Chavan

501

MUMBAI, July 13: Terror struck Mumbai when three serial blasts rocked crowded areas in Zaveri Bazar, Dadar and the Opera House on Wednesday evening. According to the Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, at least 17 people were killed and 81 others injured in the serial blasts.
In New Delhi, the Union Home Ministry said the multiple explosions were a terror strike and that Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) were used. Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh said two people were killed and about 100 injured in three explosions.
Police said the nature and intensity of the explosions were not known but the blasts revived memories of the terror attack in November 2008 in which 166 persons were killed by 10 gunmen of Pakistan-based terror outfit LeT.
Police said all the three blasts took place in a crowded markets and busy areas.
The first explosion took place in south Mumbai’s Zaveri Bazaar, near famous Mumbadevi temple, this evening in which some people were injured, said Mumbai Police spokesperson Nisar Tamboli. The bustling market also has a number of jewellery shops.
The second explosion was reported in a taxi in Dadar area, he said. The site of the explosion was close to dadar railway station.
“We are verifying the nature of explosions. At this moment I cannot say anything more than this,” Mr. Tamboli said.
The third blast was reported from Opera House in Charni.
Teams of Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) have rushed to the spots.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan shortly after the serial blasts shook Mumbai.
NSG personnel and forensic experts were rushed to the western metropolis in a BSF plane from Delhi. The explosion in Zaveri Bazaar occurred in an electric pole in a crowded area. Zaveri Bazar area has been constantly targeted in the blasts and 54 people were killed during the explosions in 2003.
Security alert in Delhi
A security alert was sounded in the national capital following a series of blasts in Mumbai and police personnel were fanned across the city to carry out intensive searches and checkings.
A senior police official said top officials were reviewing the security situation in the city.
“A tight security apparatus has been put in place.
Senior officials are on the streets monitoring the security scenario. Police personnel have been deployed across the city,” a senior police official said.
The official said police personnel were deployed at public places like malls, cinema halls, parks, popular hangouts, ISBT and railway station. They are conducting checkings.
Three explosions were reported from south Mumbai’s Zaveri Bazar, Dadar in Central Mumbai and Opera House in Charni Road following which this action has been taken, the official said.
The national capital last month had a minor scare when a low intensity blast took place outside Delhi High Court. No one was injured in the incident.
“There is nothing to worry. All precautions have been taken. We appeal to the citizens to report to us about any suspicious objects or persons they come across,” the official said.

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply to Puneet Parashar Cancel reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here