Huge turn-out of supporters witnessed at PM`s public meeting


IMPHAL, December 3: Amidst the 14 hours general strike call of the CorCom an umbrella organization of various militant outfits and a separate boycott of the Prime Minister’s visit to the state capital, there was an unexpected heavy turn-out of supporters at the kangla fort to attend the public meeting this afternoon.

Supporters drove in thousands of numbers into the venue of the public meeting from all parts of the state.

Supporters from the other districts of the state also drove in using buses and other vehicles.

The vast Kangla ground was filled with supporters numbering more than 50,000 well before the arrival of the Prime Minister and the UPA chairperson accompanied by other Union ministers.

The police also had a hard time in controlling the people who had turned up to see the prime Minister and the UPA chairperson as the supporters were allowed entry from only the Southern gate of the Kangla.

Visitors were allowed into the venue from 12 noon, however people had started to collect around the Southern gate of Kangla well before the entry time making it hard for the security personnel to manage the crowd of supporters.

Meanwhile, according to security measures implemented by the state government vehicles coming from various districts and places were made to park their vehicles at Lilashing Khongnangkhong, Hafta Kangjeibung, Polo  ground and Waheng leikai road from where they had to walk up to the venue of the meeting.

The Prime Minister and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi were received by state Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh and MPCC president Gaikhangam at Kangla.

The public meeting started at 2:50pm and was addressed by the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, while the welcome address was given by the state Chief Minister.

At the end of the public meeting the PM and the UPA chairperson were presented with mementos by the state Arts and Culture department through the Chief Minister and the MPCC president.

The meeting ended at around 4pm after which the Prime Minister, UPA chairperson and the other Union ministers with the state CM and the MPCC president were air-lifted by a helicopter from Kangla for Imphal airport.

The central team left Imphal at 4:10pm by a special aircraft.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here