IMPHAL, June 6: A major fire gutted a rented house with five rooms, destroying properties worth around Rs seven lakh at Alungtang village under Ukhrul Police Station this morning. Gut
Police believed the cause of the fire was started from a charcoal heater which the owner left with baking meat around 10:30 am. The blaze was put out by fire tenders but the wooden house was reduced to ashes before they reached the spot.
The owner of the house is one Changsila Luithui, hailing from Langdang village, Ukhrul district and the individual who rented the house is one Pam Lupheng, 53, son of late Yarnao Lupheng from Toloi village in the district. Lupheng, a special contractor, had been staying at the house along with his family.
No casualties were reported in the fire.