NEW DELHI, June 1 (Agencies): The new Army chief, General Bikram Singh, on Friday promised a thorough and transparent probe into the allegation of a fake encounter in Nagaland`s Dimapur district.
The 25th chief of Army staff (COAS), in his first brief interaction with the media after the ceremonial guard of honour at South Block, reacted to the Headlines Today expose.
“There was a letter sent by my chief of staff to 3 Corps to investigate allegations. There is nothing that should be brushed under the carpet. I assure you,” Gen Singh said.
Headlines Today had exposed a letter, written by a serving Army major, seeking a probe into the alleged fake encounter by the officers of the Dimapur Corps intelligence unit. General V.K. Singh, who retired on May 31, had said that he had forwarded the complaint to the 3 Corps headquarters and was surprised no probe had been carried out.
The general officer commanding (GOC) of 3 Corps, Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, has been directed to probe the allegation and finalise a report, sources said.