UNC bandh called off

681

IMPHAL, July 22 (NNN): The United Naga Council (UNC)`s proposed 96-hour Naga area bandh in Manipur has been postponed following assurance from New Delhi to resume the dialogue on the `alternative arrangement`.

The UNC was supposed to begin the 96-hour bandh from the midnight of Monday.

“In view of the communications received from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India indicating that the matter of the tripartite talk on the alternative arrangement for the Nagas in Manipur outside the Government of Manipur, pending settlement of the Indo-Naga issue, is under the active consideration of the Government of India with request to withdraw the agitation, and also in view of the consultation on the Indo-Naga peace process being taken up by the Naga Hoho in the last week of July, 2012 and request to defer the total bandh to ensure participation of all tribes in the same, it has been decided to defer the 96 hours total bandh in Naga areas which was to commence from the midnight of the 23rd July, 2012,” the UNC said in a press communique today.

It however said that given the democratic means and patience that has been applied on the matter by the Nagas, if the communication from the Ministry of Home Affairs, is not translated into initiatives for holding of the next round of tripartite talk or intervention with an alternative arrangement for the Nagas in Manipur on or before August 10, it has been decided to take up intensive measures as deemed fit to pursue the goal of our political pursuit.

All Naga oganisations  are informed by the UNC to continue being in readiness for people actions as would be determined by the response or otherwise of the  government of India.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here