- UCM reiterates stand on territorial boundary ahead of GOI-NSCN (IM) talk
- MPP joins Hiyanglam by-poll fight, announces candidate
- JCILPS clarifies on reported after talk stalemate with All political parties committee
- Govindas proposes textiles park under NERTPS during annual conference of Textile ministers
- Encourage a sense of nationalism, AMWJU president tells students
- Awareness campaign on centrally sponsored schemes inaugurated at CCpur
India’s Star Mary Kom of Manipur among Olympic Medal winners felicitation by Steel Ministry
Ministry of Steel16-August, 2012 16:55 IST
Steel Minister Felicitates Olympic Medal Winners
The Union Minister of Steel, Shri Beni Prasad Verma today felicitated Indian athletes for winning medals in London Olympics. He gave away cheques worth Rs. 25 lakh to Silver medal winners and cheques worth Rs. 20 lakh to the winners of Bronze medals. Shri Verma thereby fulfilled the commitment that he had made prior to the commencement of London Olympics.
Ahead of the commencement of the London Olympics, Shri Verma had announced that he would award the Winners of Gold Medal with Rs. 50 lakh, silver medal winners with Rs. 25 lakh and bronze medal winners with Rs. 20 lakh each. The Steel Minister felicitated Sushil Kumar, Vijay Kumar, Gagan Narang, Mary Kom, Saina Nehwal, and Yogeshwar Dutt by honoring them with cheques as announced earlier.
Speaking on the occasion Shri Verma said that all the Olympic winners are idols for the young men and women of tomorrow. He said that he is hopeful that performance of our athletes in London Olympics will increase consciousness about Olympic sports in India and lead to better performance in the next Olympic as well.
The medals winners from India in London Olympic 2012 are:
• Sushil Kumar, Silver in Wrestling (Men’s 66kg Freestyle)
• Vijay Kumar, Silver in 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event
• Gagan Narang, Bronze in 10m Air Rifle event
• Saina Nehwal, Bronze in Badminton
• Mary Kom, Bronze in Boxing (Women`s Flyweight category)
• Yogeshwar Dutt, Bronze in Wrestling (Men’s 60kg Freestyle category)
Source: Press Information Bureau, GOI