IMPHAL, January 5: Seven shops inside Block III of the Temporary Market at Khwairamband keithel were gutted by a fire suspected to have ignited by a short circuit.
Four of the seven shops were totally damaged by the fire, while the remaining three had been partially damaged.
Tmely intervention from the fire services managed to save the three shops.
The Manipur Fire Services team was supported by a team of the City police in dousing the fire. Three tankers of the fire service were used in trying to douse the fire.
Of the four damaged shops, two sell shoes, one deals in jwellery, while the other provides drinking water for the entire market shed.
Meanwhile, the police had to face a lot of problem in trying to control the people who had come out to watch the fire.
It may be mentioned that the market shed was constructed by dismantling the old District hospital.