IMPHAL, April 11: The Joint Peace Committee formed against the atrocities committed by the NSCN (IM) has strongly condemned the State government’s silence on the March 10 incident at Melei Lampak, Heirok part II when NSCN (IM) cadres had not only assaulted 10 labourers involved in the construction of a Mini Barrage but also shot near them.
A meeting of the committee convened yesterday at the Karok Modern Youth Club, Heirok Part II has also resolved to dissolve the committee immediately.
Other resolutions taken during the meeting also include that since the government has failed to fulfil its assurance provided to the people of Heirok, the government should be held responsible for any untoward incident arising out of the incident.
Heirok Zilla Parishadmember Sh Dineshwori said that the concerned MLAs Moirangthem Okendro and Korungthang along with the Deputy Chief Minister had earlier met with the committee and assured to punish all involved at the earliest.
The government had also assured to mediate between Heirok villagers and Khulsaibung villagers, and to instruct the Revenue department to demarcate the area, she said.
However, the government has remained silent on its assurance, she added.
Yesterday’s meeting was also attended by Heirok Pt II GP Pradhan Th Dharmendra, Heirok Pt III GP Pradhan A Jugindro and BSF Heirok post commander Joypal as presidium members.