In his address, minister Karam Shyam stated that his intent to ride cycle, is to send out a message to all the citizens, about the importance of fuel conservation. As a political leader and as a citizen of the state, he seeks to encourage and promote cycling, he added.
Further, he appealed to all parents and guardians to promote bicycle among students and youth. He added that it is necessary to opt for alternative modes of transportation, in order to conserve oil, which is a non-renewable source of energy. Highlighting the scarcity of oil, he said that 80 percent of crude oil requirement of India is imported and only the remaining 20 percent (37.46 million metric tonnes) is produced in India.
Appreciating Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a visionary, minister Karam Shyam also urged the people to follow his suggestion of not using petrol or diesel once a week. That, it is the collective responsibility of every citizen in this country to use fuel judiciously and make fuel conservation an integral part of one’s lifestyle, he added.
Furthermore, minister Karam Shyam also mentioned that if cycling becomes popular among the citizens, the government can consider providing special lanes for cyclists.
In the said Cyclothon, along with minister Karam Shyam, former VC, Manipur University, prof. H. Tombi Singh, IOC officials and around 100 cyclist enthusiasts, rode bicycle from Malom till Keishampat oil pump.
The Cyclothon is being held across the country from November 12 till December 31, 2017. And it is organised by public sector oil companies in Manipur, in association with Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), under the aegis of ministry of petroleum & natural gas, Government of India.
Source: Imphal Free Press