Sekmai closes down in protest

2126

Manipur, IMPHAL, August 1: Locals of Sekmai bazar erupted today closing down shops in the area including market sheds alleging the Imphal West police commandos of killing an innocent person in a fake encounter.

The demonstrators further staged a sit in protest at the Sekmai bazar area.

Demonstrating against the July 30 alleged encounter between Imphal West commandos and suspected militants resulting in the death of two alleged militants, the locals had also formed a JAC yesterday and set a three day deadline for the government.

Sekmai closes down in protest - Women folks staging a sit-in-protest at Sekmai Bazar against the killing of two suspected underground cadres by Manipur Police Commandos on Wednesday.
Women folks staging a sit-in-protest at Sekmai Bazar against the killing of two suspected underground cadres by Manipur Police Commandos on Wednesday.

The locals were demonstrating against the July 30 incident, where it was reported that a team of the Imphal West commandos had gunned down two suspected underground cadres at 8:20 pm at Lamdeng Khunou Chingmei near Solid Waste Management Project located at four kilometres north of Lamsang Police Station.

Decrying the alleged encounter as fake and that one amongst the two killed identified as Sukham Naobicha Singh, 23 son of Sukham Indrajit Singh of Sekmai Laipat Leikai is innocent, the demonstrators further demanded the government to bring out the involved commandos and to punish them according to the law.

Speaking to media persons on the sidelines of the sit in protest, wife of Naobicha, Jeevanlata, 19 said her husband is an ice-cream seller.

She continued that on July 30 morning around 7:30am, Naobicha had set off for Imphal to buy ice-creams and other household commodities.

She said he had talked to her at around 10am through the mobile phone when he informed her that he is still at Imphal.

However, after he failed to return even after it was dark, she called him on his mobile around 7pm the same day.

He did not however pick up the phone. After several calls at last around 7:30pm, someone picked up her called but did not say anything.

She continued that there was also a sound of scuffle coming through the mobile.

The mobile phone remained switched offed since then, she continued.

She continued calling his mobile till 10pm but to no avail. By 11pm the mobile has remained switched off till date, she said.

The next day she found the news report about two unidentified militant suspects being killed in an encounter.

She later found out after visiting the RIMS morgue yesterday at around 7:30pm, that one of the killed is her husband.

Meanwhile, the JAC convenor, Thounaojam Sanjit said locals called a public meeting at the locality yesterday itself and formed a JAC.

He claimed Naobicha to be a hardworking and poor individual supporting his family by selling ice-creams.

He continued that it has been resolved that the JAC will not stopped until the culprits are brought out and punished. The JAC will also not receive any ex-gratia.

He continued that the JAC condemns killing of innocent persons by state police commandos and security forces in the name of counter-insurgency.

The JAC and family members supported by the locals will also submit a memorandum to the state Chief Minister and the Home Minister.

Representatives of four civil societies, including that of NIPCO, UCM, MAPI Council and UPF also visited the bereaved family members.

Meanwhile, the other individual who was killed along with Naobicha has been identified as Thangjam Bali alias Ibomcha, son of Ningthemton of Ukhongshang Maning Laimang by family members.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here