Two claim they were made part of surrender drama


IMPHAL, February 24: Just a day after top cadres of the Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup, MDF were arrested for violating the recently signed peace talks agreement by trying to barge inside the office chamber of the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences Director`s office; certain individuals have come forth to claim that they were unwittingly made to join in the surrender and signing of the Memorandum of Understanding program as cadres of the United Revolutionary Front (URF).

The MoU was signed on February 13 at the 1st Manipur Rifles banquet Hall between representatives of the state government, centre and three militant outfits- Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup, MDF; United Revolutionary Front, Manipur and the Kangleipak Communist Party, Lamphel.

Two individuals from Khurai Chingabam Leikain namely, Yaikhom Savitri Singh (55) and Ngashem Dilipkumar alias Kumar (52) said during the course of a press conference today that they had no idea that they will be made to join in the surrender program when they were hired by one Mukho Khullen of Khurai Kongpal Chingabam Leikai for masonry work at the Headquarter of 57 Mountain Division, Leimakhong.

The two who claimed to be masons said they could slip away from the camp only today.

Speaking to the media at the Manipur Press Club today, the two alleged that Mukho had hired them for the construction work of a drain for the army.

The press conference was also attended by representatives of the Mayai Leikai Development Committee, Khurai Chingabam and Mukho’s wife Mema who was picked up by the committee.

Dilipkumar said that they left with Mukho on February 12, but instead of going to Leimakhong they were taken to the Loitangkhunou Army camp.

Soon after reaching the camp they were also made to sign on a paper and note down their full details, he continued.

They were made to stay the night at the camp and found that there were others present and provided with combat dresses the next day morning and taken to the 1st Manipur Rifles battalion on February 13 and made to participate in a surrender programme as cadres of the URF, Dilipkumar alleged.

The two further maintained that they managed to slip from the Loitang Khunou Army camp where they were taken back after the signing of the MoU.

After they were confined inside the post without any work, the two felt something amiss and started complaining to the officials to allow them to go back to their homes, Dilipkumar said.

He said that the officials at the camp told them that they should stay at the camp from now on as their wages will be made from February 13.

When they continued with their appeals, the officials threatened that they would be killed if they disclosed anything to anyone, the two alleged.

They have also alleged that they were threatened by one Moyamba alias Biren of the URF.

Mayai Leikai Development Committee secretary Thounaojam Ravi said after family members informed the committee about the missing case of the two individuals, representatives of the committee picked up Mema today and made her to inform her husband to reveal the whereabouts of the two missing persons and release them at the earliest.

Romen, son of Dilip said that after his father failed to return home, family members started looking for him.

He said his father was arrested earlier for illegal consumption of electricity and had to appear before the court on February 22 and so he visited Mukho’s house so as to enquire about his father’s whereabouts from Mema.

He continued, Mema divulged that they could be around Loitongkhunou, following which, he went and searched for his father inside the Army camp.

He came back and informed the committee after which Mema was picked up, he said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here