Home News Headlines

Mob fury: House of rape accused dismantled

IMPHAL, March 31: Even as the issue of a rape case remains unsettled, another has reared its ugly head in the state. Enraged over an alleged rape of a woman by her own father in law in the absence of her husband and the inability of the police to produce the accused before them, locals of Mayang Imphal Thongkhong partially damaged the accused’s house.

The daughter in law, Dolly (name changed) told media persons today that the incident happened on the wee hours of March 27. Dolly has two daughters.

She alleged that her father in law, Mongjam Phulindro, 55 of Mayang Imphal Thongkhong taking advantage of the absence of her husband from home, came into her bedroom at around 3am. After threatening her with dire consequences, he raped her, she alleged.

She further added that her husband had left home for Guwahati the previous day on March 26.

Early on March 27 morning, soon after the incident, she narrated over the phone, the whole story to her husband’s sister who was married in a nearby locality at Konchak Mamang Leikai, she further alleged.

However, her sister in law, whom she identified as Potsungbam Premi Devi took her to her home and told her not to divulge anything about the incident to anyone, she added.

However, unable to remain silent she went to her parental home at Konchak Mamang Leikai and informed her parents about the incident, she informed media persons.

Soon after, her family went to the Mayang Imphal police station and reported the incident and a medical check up was conducted on her, she added.

Meanwhile, a press statement signed by various local authorities including the Councillor of Ward no 8,Mayang Imphal Municipal Council, members of WDC, Mayang Imphal MC informed that the public had been pacified by an assurance from the police regarding the arrest of the accused.

However, with the inability of the police to produce the accused before the locals, even after, the accused Phulindro had surrendered before the police, enraged the locals further, who resorted to partially damaging his house, the statement added.

Phulindro had reportedly surrendered before the Wangoi police station on March 30 around 3pm.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exit mobile version