IMPHAL, July 23: Against the backdrop of the recent Supreme Court verdict quashing the Medical Entrance Test National Eligibility Entrance cum Test (NEET) results, medical aspirants of the state are today finding themselves in two separate groups.
On one hand, aspirants who had passed the NEET are demanding from the government to initiate counseling sessions for their admissions at the earliest, while on the other hand other aspirants who were waiting for the state MBBS/BDS entrance test which was abruptly cancelled by the state government are demanding the conduct of a new entrance test.
Several aspirants demanding a new entrance test for MBBS/BDS today went on a rampage at the Medical Directorate, which further incited the other group to call a press conference demanding the state government to initiate counseling for admission for the NEET selected candidates at the earliest.
The aspirants against the NEET, demanding conduct of a new medical entrance stormed the Manipur Medical Directorate at Lamphelpat ransacking official files inside the office complex around 11am today.
Later, the students along with members of the All Manipur MBBS/BDS Parent Guardian Association met with the Director to place their demands.
Arun Kangjam, Secy of the parents association speaking to media persons after the meeting said the association will file a contempt of Court case with the Supreme Court, in case the government decides to choose NEET selected candidates as state nominees.
He continued that the Director has told representatives of the association and some of the aspirants that he will look into the state cabinet decision regarding the cancellation of the state conducted MBBS/BDS exam, 2013.
He said the Supreme Court has already quashed the NEET result and the government should uphold the verdict.
Meanwhile, S Raghubir president Parents’ Association of Selected Candidates (NEET UG-2013) speaking to media persons at the Manipur Press Club demanded the state government to initiate the counseling sessions for the NEET selected candidates at the earliest.
He said more delay in the conduct of the session will only harm the students’ career.
He said that according to the information bulletin of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (UG)-2013, “There shall be a single eligibility cum entrance examination namely National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for Admission to MBBS/BDS courses in each academic year”.
It may be mentioned here that the three Judge bench of the Apex Court had said that the Medical Council of India had no powers to conduct single entrance examination and that the MCI should not force it on government and private medical colleges.
It may be mentioned that the Supreme Court had given its judgment on NEET quashing the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for admission in MBBS, BDS and post graduate medical courses.
The Supreme Court had however stated that admissions already made after the NEET will not be affected.
On the other hand, the state government had earlier cancelled the state conducted MBBS/BDS entrance test just two days before the exam leaving several aspirants disgruntled.