8-year old’s body claimed, families seek financial relief for others injured


IMPHAL, July 4: Relatives of the eight-year-old student killed in yesterday’s Thoubal Leishangthem Kaeli Makhong road accident and others who are undergoing treatment at Shija Hospital stormed the Chief Minister’s Bungalow this evening demanding the arrest of the Tata truck driver involved and financial assistance for treatment of those injured.

It has been learnt that the family members met with the Chief Minister, Okram Ibobi along with managing director Shija Hospital and Research Institute, Lamphel Dr Kh Palin in the evening after which the body of the student was handed over for post mortem at JNIMS and subsequently over to the family members.

Earlier in the evening, speaking to the media in front of the Chief Minister’s bungalow, a relative of one of the students had alleged that the hospital authority had denied handing over the body as the family was yet to clear the bills.

She had also alleged that the hospital has refused to continue with the treatment of the injured students and demanded clearance of the hospital dues first, which has already crossed Rs Seven lakh for all the students combined, she added.

Others said that the Chief Minister being the local MLA should provide some financial assistance to the families of those students undergoing treatment.

A large number of people comprising of relatives and local neighbours of the students had today convened a meeting in their locality and later proceeded towards Imphal to meet the Chief Minister in the afternoon.

The vehicles carrying the protestors were stopped in front of the Manipur University Gate by police personnel on duty, however, the angry family members and locals managed to force their way through the security barricade.

They were further detained at the Kakwa Bazar area, but later allowed to proceed towards Imphal escorted by a police team.

On reaching the Chief Minister’s bungalow, the protestors were angered after they were told that the Chief Minister was busy and tried to storm the CM’s bungalow.

Later, police took in some of their representatives in the bungalow.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here