IMPHAl, January 16: At least four pregnant cows were electrocuted by a High Transmission Line (HT line) at Moirangporel, the native village of Andro A/C MLA Th Shyamkumar today.
Shyamkumar who is also the president of Manipur Pradesh Trinamool Congress Committee has flayed Chief Minister Okram Ibobi who also holds the Power portfolio, accusing him of irresponsibility and dereliction of duty.
Holding the Chief Minister responsible for the electrocution of the bovines, he has warned of taking legal actions against the Power department and has demanded compensations for the poor owners of the electrocuted cows.
Speaking to media persons at his quarter this evening, the Andro MLA said several complaints have been raised to look into the condition of the HT lines since his election as the MLA in the assembly and to the concerned minister and the power department. The HT lines in various constituencies of Imphal East district and other places in the State need to be replaced with new electric wires.
But till date, the concerned department has not taken any positive action and hasn`™t paid any heed to the complaints.
As per records, seven precious cows have been killed by electric shock in Andro A/C and so are several other domestic animals.
In such a situation, another four cows have newly been reported electrocuted by an HT Line.
The incident only suggests that the Power department is now defunct with its staffs ranging from the Chief Engineer to a peon are waiting for their fat salaries only, he said.
With this kind of irresponsibility, the transformation of the State electricity department into a corporation is meaningless, Shyamkumar said.
The Andro MLA has warned of launching various agitations to teach a lesson to the concerned minister and department authorities if the power corporation don`™t replace the old HT lines with new ones within a short period, he added.
Talking to media persons, Nabachandra Thounaojam, a resident of Moirangporel, said the officials of the Lamlai sub-station of the Electricity department have repaired the HT line after some electric poles collapsed during the recent rainfall.
After the repairing work was completed, it was found that the HT lines were almost touching the ground and unfortunately a fire broke out here at around 1:10 pm today causing the death of four cows from electrocution, he said.