THE MANIPUR LAND REVENUE AND LAND REFORMS
(SEVENTH AMENDMENT) BILL, 2015
to amend the Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reforms Act, 1960 (No. 33 of 1960)
Whereas 10% of the geographical area of the State of Manipur is valley area and the remaining 90% is hill areas; and
Whereas 60% of the population of the State resides in the valley areas and the population density in the valley areas is 730 while in the hill areas it is 61 as per the 2011 Census; and
Whereas there is tremendous pressure in the limited valley areas, with the increase in the population in the immediate future, there are likely to be many families without any residential plots; and
Whereas under section 158 of the Manipur Land Revenue & Land Reforms Act, 1960, land belonging to a Scheduled Tribe in the valley areas cannot be sold to a non Scheduled Tribe without the prior consent of the Deputy Commissioner concerned; and
Whereas, it is therefore, considered necessary to regulate the sale of land to Non Manipur persons of the State so that the limited available land in the valley area are available to all the permanent residents of the State in the interest of the general public.
BE it enacted by the Legislature of Manipur in the Sixty-sixth Year of the Republic of India as follows :
Short title and commencement
- This Act may be called the Manipur Land Revenue Reformed (Seventh Amendment) Act, 2015.
- It shall come into force from such date as the State Government may, by notification in the official Gazatte, appoint.
- After section 14 of the Principal Act, the following new section 14 A shall be inserted, namely,-
( Insertion of new section 14.A )
“14 A. Purchase of land by a Non Manipur Person.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, Non Manipur persons, firms, institutions or any other similar entities who intend to purchase any land in the State of Manipur shall submit an application to the Deputy Commissioner of the district concerned where the land to be purchased is situated for obtaining the prior approval of the State Government before such purchase is made by him.
(2) For the purpose of sub-section (1), an application shall be made in the prescribed form and shall contain the particulars of the said seller, classification of the land, Patta No., Dag No., area of the land, and the purpose for use of the land and such other particulars as may be prescribed.
(3) The Deputy Commissioner on receipt of an application solicit recommendation from Local Body/ Authority/ Local Self Government and thereafter shall make an inquiry in respect of the application received under sub-section (2) in such manner as may be prescribed and shall submit the application along with the report of such inquiry and his comments to the State Government.
(4) The State Government shall, on receipt of the application and the report under sub-section (3), process the matter for its final decision:
Provided that the State Government shall grant its approval to the said sale of land only after obtaining the approval of the State cabinet.
(5) The State Government shall intimate the final decision on the application to the applicant”
(Insertion of new section 14.B)
14 B. Allotment of land to a Non Manipur Person.- Allotment of land to a Non Manipur Person, Firms, Institutions or any other similar entities shall be made by the Government after obtaining prior approval of the State Cabinet.”
STATEMENT OF OBJECTS AND REASONS
The population of Manipur has reached 28.56 lakhs as per 2011 census. The population density of the 4 (four) Valley Districts has reached 730 while in the 5 (five) Hill Districts where there is restriction of purchase of land by non-scheduled Tribe is 61. Hence there is tremendous pressure on land especially in the 4 (four) Valley Districts of Manipur. The Manipur Conservation of Paddy Land and Wetland Act, 2014 has been enacted to conserve the Paddy Land and Wetland spreading in the 4 (four) Valley Districts.
There has been apprehension among the general public of Manipur that without regulation on sale of land in the very near future many families in the State may not have a roof over their heads. Hence, there is an urgent need to regulate the sale of lands to Non-Manipur persons.
Hence the Bill.
Th. Debendra Singh
MEMORANDUM ON DELEGATED LEGISLATION
The proposed sub sections (2) and (3) of section 14A to be added by clause 2 of the bill in the Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reforms Act, 1960 seek to empower the State Government to provide in the rules the form of application to be submitted by a Non Manipuri Person, firms, institution or any other similar entities.
The delegation is not excessive and normal in character.
After enactment of this Bill, there shall be no additional financial liability to the Consolidated Fund of the State.
Three Bills Passed by Government of Manipur: