Mirabai inaugurates three juvenile observation homes

1147

THOUBAL, January 28: Social Welfare minister, AK Mirabai inaugurated three Observation Homes today at three different areas of Imphal, Thoubal and Bishnupur today. The homes were constructed under provisions of the Juvenile Justice (Care and protection of children) Act, 2000 for the year 2014-15 with recognition from the Ministry of Women and Child Development.

The homes inaugurated are located at Nambol Maibam Chingmang, Bishnupur District, Langthabal Lep Mayai Leikai, Imphal West District and Samaram of Thoubal District.

While, the home at Langthabal Lep Mayai Leikai, Imphal West District is for girls only, the other two are for boys and all three will be run under the Ministry of Women and Child Development`™s `Integrated Child protection Scheme.

The Samaram Observation Home constructed by the All Backward Classes and Economic Development Organisation has a total capacity of 25 inmates and was constructed.

Speaking after the inaugural of the homes, the minister said the more such home will be constructed at Tamenglong, Noney, Ukhrul and Imphal East.

Including the three homes, the Social Welfare department has already constructed 14 children homes, two shelter homes and an observation home since 2013 in the State, she said adding that all the homes were constructed with the concerned ministry providing 90 percent funding while the remaining 10 percent were provided by NGOs.

Stating that Thoubal district has the most number of NGOs, the minister further pointed out that the NGOs need to be alert and at the same time understanding of the needs of the inmates who are all juveniles.

Efficient counseling is needed she said adding that any wrong advices or counseling could have adverse effect on the young minds.

The NGOs and those involved in running the homes should also be in regular touch with other concerned government departments, she said.

Mirabai also said that the Social Welfare department has also taken up specific schemes for the disabled and the department is always available for the people.

It can be mentioned that the inauguration programmes were attended by MLA Landhoni, MLA S. Bira, Social Welfare director Rangitabali Waikhom and JJ Board members, CWC members and members of department.

Meanwhile, Thoubal DC, T. Ranjit, SP Radhashyam took part in the inauguration programme held at Samaram and spoke on JJ Act meticulously.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here