The tripartite talks on the district creation issue involving the United Naga Council (UNC), the State government and the Central government are likely to be held early next week.
Sources informed Newmai News Network this evening that the “exact date” for the talks will be fixed in a day or two.
In the last tripartite talk on March 19 in Senapati it was agreed upon that the “next round of tripartite talks will be resumed within a month’s time at political level”. The one month’s time had already lapsed on April 19.
Meanwhile, UNC President, Gaidon Kamei said that the “we are closely observing” whether the Biren Singh government has wavered from its earlier position.
“Let us hope that the state government does not indulge in double-talk while dealing with the issue,” expressed Gaidon Kamei.
In the March 19 tripartite talk, the “grievances of UNC that led to the imposition of economic blockade were recognised as non-adherence to the four Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) and the Government of India assurance on the matter”.
In that talk “the state government agreed to start consultation with all stakeholders to redress the same”. Following this, the UNC lifted the four and a half months old economic blockade on the National Highways linking Manipur from the midnight of March 19.
Gaidon Kamei continued that in the event of the failure from the part of the state government to keep its commitment to adhere to the four (MoUs) and assurances, “we have no choice but to initiate necessary movement to defend our rights and lands”.
“Our position is clear on the issue. The government must honour the four MoUs and the assurance to the Nagas on the issue whatever it is,” asserted Gaidon Kamei, adding, “We are not going to compromise our position.”
Meanwhile, a separate source said that the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is likely to intimate the state government and the United Naga Council pertaining to the next tripartite talks by Thursday.
Source: Imphal Free Press