IMPHAL | Nov 23: MAHUD minister, Thounaojam Shyamkumar today announced strict prohibition on storage of goods and use of electric appliances at the basement of Ima Market. He also directed the Imphal Municipal Corporation to strictly follow the instructions.
The minister’s announcement came after a minor fire broke out at the basement of the Ima Market No. 1 (Ima Leimaren Sidabi) today at around 3.30 pm. The cause of the fire was electric short circuit from a machine used by an ice cream vendor. State fire tenders reached the spot in time and controlled the fire.
Speaking to media persons after inspecting the fire at Ima Market, MAHUD minister said under the Imphal Smart City Mission, basement areas of Ima Market (all three buildings) will be converted into parking space and foot over bridge will be constructed to connect both the adjacent markets. The underground parking system is expected to start from next month.
He once again stated that the MAHUD department is committed to hand over the Ima Market buildings to the women vendors on February 22, after complete renovation/repairing work which will be completed before the month of February.
Th. Shyamkumar once again appealed to the shopkeepers, vendors including street vendors to keep the market clean throughout the year, stating that they have a major role in keeping the historic Khwaramband Keithel neat and tidy. He also appealed to the shopkeepers to use dustbins in all the shops to avoid inconveniences.
He was accompanied by Prem Singh, MAHUD commissioner, N. Gitkumar, director MAHUD and IMC officials.
Source: Imphal Free Press